Monday, January 2, 2012

#2 Lie on a bed of Nails

The second item on my list of 30 things to do before I'm 30 was to lie on a bed of nails.
A lot of people said "huh?" when I told them that particular goal and I'll admit, it does seem a little odd until I explain.
You see, I happen to work at a science centre where this is a science demonstration that they do for the public on a regular basis.

And since my job is awesome, this is the type of thing that takes place on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend.
The conversation went a little something like this
"hey guys, wanna help me out with something if it's not too busy this afternoon?"
"Sure, what's up?"
"I want to lie on the bed of nails so I can scratch it off of my list"
"Awesome, we'll totally help you!"
(Ok, I may have paraphrased that a little bit... because I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one at work who uses the words 'awesome' & 'totally'... in the same sentence at least.. haha)

Anyway, the interpreters (who actually do this as part of their job - jealous? Me too! They also get to make fire balls... who knew science was fun!) hooked me up and showed me how to lie on the bed without slitting my wrists - that turned out to be a helpful tip! haha

Here's the proof!

Dun dun dunnn!

It looks a little intense doesn't it... good thing I was working with professionals ;)

My friends & colleagues, Geoff & Brianna touching the nails to prove that they're real - trust me, they're real!

Close up!

Geoff demonstrating how to get onto the bed of nails... that was the most stressful part!

Taaadumm!!!

I'm super proud of myself.. lol
Also, please note the tshirt (not my normal work wear, I promise, I was wearing a sweater over it but I took it off so it wouldn't look like I was cheating) it says
 "WARNING If zombies chase us, I'm pushing you" it's funny... cause it's true!

So... I get to check #2 off of my list SWEET!
Annnd... I'm pretty sure that this makes me a superhero... those 'science people' tried to explain it by talking about pressure and weight distribution... but I like my explanation MUCH better.
The science demo they do is really neat though, there's this whole thing where they break a cinder block over someones chest with a sledgehammer... on the bed of nails! (I opted out of that - I'll leave that to the professionals)

I bet the question you're all dying to ask is, "did it hurt?" and the answer is.... drum roll please...
not really.
LOL (talk about anticlimactic eh?)

It didn't actually hurt, but I was very aware of the nails, especially in my back. My bottom half was fine cause I had jeans on and there's a little more... cushioning... shall we say...
my back is a little bit bonier - (there's that whole spine thing for starters) so when I laughed - and I was laughing a lot, it made me more aware of the nails. But I wouldn't say it actually hurt.

Here's a neat picture of the back of my tshirt, it had the indents from the nails in it.
Yep, this means that I'm pretty much Super (Wo)Man ... I've long suspected it but now I have proof of my invulnerability.

So there ya have it, #2 checked off - BAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment